2012年1月5日星期四

And of course sounding the horn really assists the process

Here I acknowledge that that's a difficult one given our general climate. However, as one example only, I was once driving down Pittwater Road towards the harbour in very heavy rain and had maintained a four car gap to the vehicle in front. Twice, no less, my braking space (to also compensate for the tailgater behind me as best I could) was occupied by another vehicle from the kerbside lane. It happened to be a (different) Police car in both instances and in one case the car did not even indicate. There, I feel better now. :) Regards, Christian What boils my radiator. Apart from the ubiquitous "Doof Doof" with paintwork that matches their taste in music (mind you it is fun to pull up along side and blow them away with the Maestoso from SaintSaens Organ symphony or the 1812 Overture with cannons), I find these habits tend to raise my temperature. 1. RoundaboutsWe've had them for years but some drivers still seem to have a total inability to understand how they work. Some drivers seem to think the best way is to treat them like a Stop sign despite the absence of any other approaching traffic. I get the uneasy impression some are waiting for the written invitation to arrive before proceeding. 2. Merging trafficWhy is it so difficult (apart from when driving a Bdouble) for two lanes of traffic to combine into one? Sheep seem to be able to merge into a single file more efficiently than most city drivers. Some think its a "Face" issue, if that car gets in ahead of me I going to be the world's biggest loser. Some think they should stop and wait for sufficient space to become available before merging into a queue. And of course sounding the horn really assists the process. 3. Use of emergency lights (4 way flashers)Why do people assume that if they put on their emergency lights they can park anywhere they like, such as at a bus stop while they return their DVD or the approach side of a pedestrian crossing while they pick up the dry cleaning, double park while the passenger buys the paper, milk and lottery ticket. I still can't find the section in traffic Rosetta Stone Software handbook stating the use of emergency lights immediately grants the driver a waiver from all road rules (and common sense). 4. 4 Wheel drives are a small truck4 wheel drives (I refuse to use the initials Ess Ewe Vee ) are trucks, large, slow to accelerate in most cases, are built and handle like a truck. When will 4WD owners realise the average car will accelerate quicker, maintain speed up hills and go around corners significantly better than the average 4WD, get over it. Just because they're bigger doesn't necessarily mean they are better. 5. "Perhaps" carsDefined as "I bought the largest 4WD I could afford because perhaps one day I might want to go off road or I might run into some mud. It has double the fuel consumption, its dreadful to park and the wife has scrapped it twice getting it into the garage, you can't see behind it when you reverse but it is comfortable." "I bought the V8 model in the belief perhaps I might want to tow a boat or a box trailer full of sand up the expressway. It costs me the equivalent of the GDP of a small African country to insure especially if the kids drive it, it drinks fuel like water, I always have to watch my speed because it really takes off but, its got buckets of power." 6. Why would anyone want to stick pictures of tropical flowers on the windows of their car. They're about as practical as the "Baby on board" signs which, thankfully, seem to have gone the same way as vinyl upholstery, CB radios and Dancing Elvis. 7. Waste gate valves OK, you've got a turbo and you can change gears, do you really need to advertise the fact. Having a car that sounds like a dry cleaner's steam press on steroids is about as impressive as having franga_bloody_panies on the back window. And don't get me started on exhausts that look like left over storm water plumbing and can be heard 3 suburbs away.

0 评论:

发表评论

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More