2012年1月3日星期二

White knight? Blade work puts reject back on the Test radar

Cameron White ... finished unbeaten on 89. Photo: Reuters GOA: The finer details of the match will be forgotten, as are so many other one-dayers. It will be recalled that India won, perhaps because of Virat Kohli's classic century and despite Michael Clarke's classy ton. Cameron White's innings will likely be shifted to the back of the memory bank, particularly because Australia's winless run in India continued, but it shouldn't be. Clarke described it as one of the best innings he had ever seen - the skipper is never short of enthusiastic language but still, it is the highest praise. White's unbeaten 89 from 49 balls came late on Wednesday, and had a crash-and-bash feel but upon closer inspection there was real genius at play. He dictated terms to the bowlers because he out-thought them and had them bowling to his strengths. The six giant sixes he smashed - nearly all straight down the ground - could not have sounded sweeter. Advertisement: Story continues below ''I was able to do that because the two before me did a bloody good job in tough conditions [Clarke and Michael Hussey put on 144 runs for the third wicket],'' White said. ''It was really set up by those guys.'' White seems to make a bigger statement with each outing for Australia's shorter format teams. Hussey and Ricky Ponting will be vacating spots in the middle order of the Test side in coming years and smart money says White and Callum Ferguson will be among the leading contenders to fill them. White already has a baggy green cap, playing as Australia's first-choice spinner during the 2008 series against India, a move that backfired Rosetta Stone outlet on the team and impacted on White's chances of regaining selection. He has chosen to force his way back in as a specialist batsman. ''Of course I still want to play Test cricket for Australia, the best opportunity I can give myself to do that is play well for Australia in this format and for Victoria,'' White said. ''I think the Test team is playing pretty well at the moment, it's a tough team to get into. I'm not going to get picked [at] No.8 and bowling, there's no secrets I'd be looking for a five or six spot there. ''[Playing Test cricket] is something nobody will ever be able to take away from me, I enjoyed playing four Tests for Australia. It was tough, it was a learning experience, it was everything really. I hope [I'm] not [far off a recall], you'd probably have to ask the selectors how far away I am, I don't know if I'm next in line or 20 or 30 blokes down the track. I know what I need to do, keep scoring runs, and if I can bowl a bit that would help also.'' Australia has one more chance to post a win on this tour, having drawn the practice match, and lost two Tests and the ODI. Hussey and Doug Bollinger flew home yesterday; the batsman to play in the Sheffield Shield for Western Australia and the paceman to assess his abdominal strain. Bollinger was injured in the first Test, ruled out of the second, pulled up sore again after a warm-up session in Visakhapatnam's ACA VDCA Stadium prior to the ODI and is in doubt for the one-day series against Sri Lanka. Hussey wants to fine-tune his preparation for the Ashes. A squad of 12 remains in India for the final one-dayer in Goa on Sunday, among them the two newest internationals, John Hastings and Mitchell Starc. Hastings took two wickets and Starc showed glimpses of a bright future, but in the end India's batsmen were too clever and composed, chasing down Australia's 3-289 with five wickets and seven balls to spare. ''We had two blokes playing their first game, I thought they did a good job,'' White said. ''A bit of experience wouldn't have gone astray, but that will hold us in good stead for the future. Maybe not necessarily the next game but when these blokes get the opportunities down the track. ''In India you can be under pressure not only from what the batsmen are putting you under, but also the crowd and atmosphere, so it was a good experience for the young blokes. You probably can't get under too much more pressure than what they would have been under.''

0 评论:

发表评论

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More