Nepalese food is probably most similar to Indian, justless spicy. The flavours come from onions, garlic and ginger.That's the problem with Nepalese food in Sydney, it's seen as apoor man's Indian. Typical Nepalese is often vegetarian, lots ofdried vegetables and bamboo shoots, cooked in a lot of lemon. Ifyou hunt around, a lot of Chinese grocers stock Nepalese food(Auburn Bazaar Nepalese Grocery Store, 154 South Parade). MostNepalese restaurants in Sydney are pretty good. Probably the mostauthentic is Mustang (332 Pacific Highway, Crows Nest) named afterthe place in Nepal, not the car. The Himalayan Char Grill (Shop 18,103111 Willoughby Road, Crows Nest) is also very good. The Yak Yeti (41 Glebe Point Road, Glebe) is probably Sydney's mostfamous.'' TimoVeikko Valve is the principal cellist for theAustralian Chamber Orchestra. Originally from Finland, the27yearold has been in Sydney for two years. ''I was astounded by the variety of food you have here inSydney. In Helsinki it's actually quite expensive to eat out, pluswe have such long winters we'd rather cook at home. The strangest thing I found was the seafood. You have seafood I could only dreamabout, the variety is staggering. One thing I really miss isFinnish rye bread. The closest I've found is at the IKEA store (1Oulton Avenue, Rhodes) and even then it was a Swedish version. I'mnot aware of any Finnish restaurants in Sydney but if someone didwant to try it, Russian is very similar. I do miss the vodka butagain Russian vodka is very similar (Camperdown Cellars, 140Parramatta Road) and a brandy called Jaloviina, which I've not seenhere. If there's one thing I get posted over from Finland it'ssalty liquorice (The Dutch Shop, 85 Market Street, Smithfield). Ialso miss a chocolate called Frazer (buy online at SuomiKauppa.fi).It just makes me feel like home when I have that. We also eat asavoury, salty porridge for breakfast, which you don't have here. Imade it for my Australian girlfriend and she's like, what thehell's this? What's gone wrong? Having said that, she's got meeating Vegemite.'' Sabrina Ioffreda is a model from BuenosAires andhas worked in Sydney for the past two months. The 21yearold's parents are Italian and she is Rosetta Stone Outlet vegetarian. ''Sydney and Argentina are very similar. Foodwise they bothlove meat, the weather's very similar and we both like to have fun.I'm vegetarian. I know, that's very strange to be Argentinian andvegetarian, I think I might be the only one. That's why I loveSydney, it's so easy to find vegetarian food here; it's practicallyim possible in Argentina. I know there are some great South Americanrestaurants in Sydney but I don't really like to eat that food whenI travel. My favourite Sydney restaurant so far has been Bill's(359 Crown Street, Surry Hills), particularly the pancakes. Onething I do miss is Argentinian wine. The reds from Mendoza are myfavourites (Broadway Cellars, 96 Glebe Point Road, Glebe). Thestrangest thing for me when I came to Sydney was that I had to goout before nine I'm used to eating dinner at 11 back home. A lotof things here close at six shops, cafes. I was a bitdisappointed by that, that's when I want to eat.'' Vincent Vuillaume, 34, is marketing manager for luxurybrand Cartier. Originally from Sainte Menehould the birthplace of Dom Perignon in France's Champagne region he, his wife and babydaughter have been posted to Sydney since February. ''The thing I miss most about France is the cheese. The cheesehere is very good, it's just the range is very limited. I haven'teaten a lot of French food since I've been here but Becasse (204 Clarence Street, Sydney) I thought was very, very good not hautecuisine, just good French bistro food. I have tried kangaroo Iwasn't a big fan but the meat here is excellent. I ate at Prime(1 Martin Place, Sydney) and it was worldclass; it's on par withthe best steakhouses in New York. I only drink French champagne.



0 评论:
发表评论